Monday, February 14, 2011

Candida Diet, Week 5 Progressssss


Alright! Another quick late-night post..... I can't help but to share how delectable this batch of tomato basil soup is that I made tonight! SO GOOD! And so easy..... here's a link to the recipe I used!

http://www.chow.com/recipes/13494-vegan-roasted-tomato-basil-soup

Eating too much almond butter :-\ It's so friggin' delicious I can't handle it.

Getting in a full cup (or sometimes more) of steamed kale or chard about 5 days out of a week, and still on the seaweed marathon! Feeling great, haven't had any headaches!

Started taking Renew Life's CandiZyme, an enzyme blend designed to break down candida cells overnight (taking them before bed) and helps the body's defenses by weakening the candida's tough exterior. Such a potent enzyme, also good for breaking down any excess things in the bloodstream.

One huge salad per day! What did I do special today.... OH! I cooked some of the fire-roasted portobellos from my job and mixed it all through the salad, with avocado.... that was divine. I still use 1-2 cloves of garlic in each salad, and pumpkin seeds. And flax or hemp seeds too! As I said in an earlier post, it's likely not ideal to eat mushrooms much (if at all...) while majorly cleansing on the candida diet, but one portobello cap here or there isn't necessarily going to break you.

Yeah when I get strict, I can get
strict. I often blame it on my German descent (My father was born in Germany) :-X So there's a bit of a disciplinary mindset I can get on sometimes, depending on certain things...

I'd say so far I've gotten on such a great routine with myself that things are becoming more and more second nature. I craved sweets pretty strong tonight, but even when that happens I don't cave too hard (I just nibble on a little more almond butter here and there, or cashews and rice snaps.....) And I'll pour a tall glass of water and squeeze some lemon in to cut the sweet craving a little and help create a little alkalinity!

From here I'm envisioning it being easier to fast. I'd love to go as long as I comfortably can with just veggies and greens and beans/lentils, etc. I could make a big batch of lentil soup and then focus on all the veggies and greens around it.

Two things:
I'm in need of a couple more kale recipes. I know they're online EVERYWHERE, but I'd like to do a little more with kale to get more of it.

Secondly, I would like to find some sound advice on raw vs. cooked foods. Susan Weed (the herbalist I've mentioned throughout my blog) seems to find truth in the fact that cooking many veggies and greens (even just a little, braising, steaming lightly, etc) helps to break down the plant cells for much easier digestion. I don't know what the fine line is between breaking down the plant cells for digestion and cooking things too much and potentially killing the beneficial enzymes & nutrients.

Something tells me that might be a scientific study all to itself...... In the health food store I work at, we have a little library of health-related books, a couple of which are raw food based. And I keep trying to read into what "professional" people say about raw foods.... there are so many raw foodists who swear by it. I just don't know quite what to make of it! So for me, kale and chard and broccoli taste way better steamed for a short while..... so that's what I do. :-P

As for my studies on how candida diet affects the menstrual cycle, well I haven't quite been participating in the diet long enough for any kind of "results," but I do notice that the days right around the very middle of my cycle (right around ovulation) I become the most social during, compared to most other days through the cycle. That's pretty common, it's a special time for gals :-) I feel I've noticed the same thing in the past, too. I guess my main goal, as someone with a very abnormal cycle, is to see if things become any more regular... my cycles can be pretty off-the-wall sometimes, jumping from the shortest cycle I ever had (around 14 days!) to the longest one (36!) I know some women who go for months without a period.... at least mine is a semi-monthly event still, but it's just interesting how bodies are so different...

Well I guess I oughta head to bed now, thanks again for reading! Please feel free to leave a comment (or two!) sometime! I'd love to share stories, ideas, or info!

Goodnight!
~Dancing


No comments:

Post a Comment